:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:25:08 -0300
hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:

> On 07/15/2015 01:40 PM, Franco Lanza wrote:
> >
> > Well, in my personal opinion devuan should not focus on new users,
> > as nor debian does.
> >
> > For new users there are plenty of distros, most notable ubuntu, and
> > we should not compete with it.
> >
> *** I STRONGLY oppose this view, and you already know why: there are
> plenty of ways to build upon a minimalist base and provide an easy
> "upgrade" from total newbie to guru in a snap with preseed files,
> tasks, "seeds", or blends.

I agree with Franco's view, and I think if we all came in with the same
definitions, you would too hellekin.

When he said "new users", I don't think he meant intelligent people who
just haven't used Linux before. I think he meant the type who say "Oh,
my, I can't learn anything, the computer should just understand what I
mean and do it. My computer is an appliance just like my toaster, and I
just want it to do its job. Oh, my, I can't change a config file, I
can't even use an editor, I'm not a programmer. Oh, my, I can't
remember names of programs, so I can't use a hierarchical menu. I need
something like Unity or Gnome3 or Windows 10 to find the way for me.

Those people never used Debian in the first place. They used *buntu or
Mint. I think what Franco was saying is that we should neither dumb
down nor complexify up Devuan to accommodate the clueless. I *don't*
think he was saying to make it ridiculously difficult like Gentoo,
Funtoo, Arch and Slackware.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21