:: Re: [DNG] systemd in wheezy, was: R…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] systemd in wheezy, was: Re: bummer
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 15:07:46 -0400 (EDT)
Rob Owens <rowens@???> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks Rob. Funtoo is next on my list. I failed at my last Funtoo
attempt because I couldn't get a bootloader configured, so I could only
use it by booting with System Rescue CD and chrooting.

So the last couple days I went back and learned more about LILO, and
I'm ready to try Funtoo again. Like Devuan itself, Funtoo has made a
statement that it will never use Systemd.

> I am of the belief that sysvinit isn't all that bad, and I'd rather
> use it than learn something new.

:-) Systemctl and Journalctl are old?

But yeah, I know what you mean.

> But I've found OpenRC relatively
> easy to understand and work with.

:-)

Once I get Funtoo working, my first step will be to alt-init using
either Epoch, s6, runit, or Suckless Init + daemontools-encore +
LittKit.

You know, the systemd fanboiz back on Debian-User were right about one
thing: Sysvinit is old, complicated, and a mess. OpenRC *requires*
sysvinit or something very much like it as PID1, and then for process
management substantially reproduces a lot of sysvinit's problems, such
as the init scripts from hell.

Can you imagine a Funtoo box with a really simple init? The ultimate in
repairability.

NOTE: Nothing I said in this email should be construed to be a vote
against Devuan defaulting to sysvinit. Our devs have hundreds of years
of accumulated experience with sysvinit, so sysvinit is the obvious
choice. Those who prefer to alt-init can do so easily, because unlike
systemd distros, the alternate init is a plug replacement, and you
don't need to tear out vast swathes of the former init system.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21