:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Daniel Reurich
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On 16/07/15 04:40, Franco Lanza wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:29:26AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
>> In that case, my next question would be "Do we want to cater to those who
>> are new to Linux/Unix?" If yes, then nano is a good choice. If no, then
>> vi is a good choice.
>
> Well, in my personal opinion devuan should not focus on new users, as
> nor debian does.

But it should not beat them over the head and say go away either!!!

> For new users there are plenty of distros, most notable ubuntu, and we
> should not compete with it.

So your implying new users are better off with systemd then??

> We should focus on moderately expert to professional sysadmins and
> geeks, so, after some years of ubuntu if a user want to go to a more
> UNIX compliant distro, should switch to devuan.

I think you are being to narrow here. Perhaps we could add the "I am a
geek and don't need my hand held" mode to the installer :p

> Second focus is to be a "base framework" for derivates, and then
> derivates can of course choose to focus on users, and to do that switch
> to a more easy to learn editor maybe, or maybe switch to a GUI editor
> for newbies.

That's a reasonable point, although we need Devuan to get to a stable
point first, and for that we do need users - even newbs to help us
refine the installer to make it easier across the board.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.