:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Mat
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On 15/07/15 02:59, Franco Lanza wrote:
> More than the already know switch from gnome to xcfe4 as the default
> desktop and the oblovious change to sysvinit instead of systemd, i would
> to propose some other default changes in the standard install:
>
> nano -> vim

I think that one of the objective of the standard install is to keep it
as simple and small as possible. Installing vim from the minimal install
pulls something like 30M of extra stuff. I don't think that this is
acceptable, think of embedded systems or containers that probably don't
even need a text editor at all.

The minimal install already comes with both nano and vim-tiny. Honestly
I don't understand nano, it's probably the first thing that I purge from
a fresh install, but I can also understand that some people aren't
comfortable with vi, especially unix newcomers.

I'm happy with the current situation (nano + vim-tiny) in the default
install, it's still small, satisfies the immediate post-install needs of
most users, and all packages are just one apt-get away anyway.

> exim -> postfix

Again, what's the difference in size? What are the requirements for a
default mail server? I believe that the default mta is something that
you don't necessarily want, per se, but gets pulled when some other
package needs an mta. Probably in that case the mta would only be
rquired to deliver local mails (think of cron) and send mails via a relay.

I believe it should be something small and simple. If you want a real
mta, then you'd install the one that you actually want to use, not the
default.

I've never used exim so I don't know how does it fit with this line of
reasoning, but there are others like dma that look like good candidates
to me.

--
Mat <mat@???>