:: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Anto
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Packages aren't the only path to alternate inits

On 17/06/15 17:37, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After the recent discussions, I'd like to point out that packages
> aren't the ONLY path to alternate inits. I've personally demonstrated
> that with SucklessInit+daemontoolsEncore, SucklessInit+s6, runit, and
> Epoch, it's quite doable to download, build, and install these things in
> parallel to each other.
>
> I fully endorse the effort to put alternative inits in packages. It
> would be wonderful to have, for instance, an Epoch package that "just
> works". I also endorse those individuals who go the out-of-package
> route.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

Hello Steve,

I agree with you that packaging epoch init system is not the only way to
have it as alternate init. However, that depends on the type of PC which
we would use epoch init system on.

What I plan to do is to have epoch init system on a regular PC which I
am using everyday. So not on a test PC where I can do a lot of crazy
things then just bin the idea if I am not happy and wipe the whole hard
disk. On a regular PC, I want to be able to *easily* install and
uninstall packages as I normally do, including switch back to sysvinit.
And I want epoch init to be able to manage the daemons which might come
from those packages, e.g. wicd package to manage my WiFi connection. For
this purpose, I think the only way to be able to use epoch init system
is to have it as a package, especially on Debian based distros.

From what I have gathered and understood so far, I have 4 options to
use epoch init system:

1. As I want to use Devuan, I have to patch all packages containing
daemons that I want to use with epoch init configuration, build epoch
package according to the packaging rules, compile them and install them
as standard package.

2. If I still insisted to use Devuan but I don't want to go through all
troubles on option 1, I compile epoch using the upstream build script,
manually install the compiled bin files, manually add the daemons init
configurations into epoch.conf. Along the time, I will have to manually
add epoch init configuration into epoch.conf, for every packages with
daemons that I install. And I will have to deal with all issues related
to those packages due to the incompatibilities between epoch and sysvinit.

3. I don't want to keep following Debian rules, so I develop my own
distro with my own rules and my own package manager. The works for that
will possibly be more than for both previous options, but I will have
control over everything.

4. Or I just use LFS with epoch init system.

Seriously, with my current knowledge and experience, you can be sure
that I will fail if I would do any of the first 3 options. So the only
feasible option is the last one. But why am I here making noise if I
didn't want to use Devuan?

So what am I going to do about this now a part from to forget about this
and move on? Do you or anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers,

Anto