:: Re: [Dng] Hal and Vdev
Author: Jude Nelson
To: JeremyBekka C
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] Hal and Vdev
Hi Jeremy,

I have a question about the deprecated program hal. We like to stream
> videos from Amazon.com but we need hal installed in order to make it work.
> The Hal Debian wiki says that it is being deprecated and it is being
> replaced by udev (https://wiki.debian.org/hal). Since vdev is being
> written to replace udev, are there any plans to incorperate hal's functions
> into vdev or keep maintaining it seperaratly?

Do you know what specific functions of hal you need? Hal's functionality
got split between udisks/udisks2, upower, and udev some time ago. Things
like device plug state, device properties, and device capabilities are now
tracked by udev (in /run/udev) and accessed by libudev, for example. My
goal for vdev is to be compatible with udev, so if you can use udev today,
you should be able to use vdev when it's ready.

Thanks,
Jude