:: Re: [Dng] A nice candidate substitu…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A nice candidate substitute to network-manager
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:50:25 -0300
Marlon Nunes <nunes@???> wrote:

> Hi, i've been testing connman for a while and found it to handle very
> well my network connections.
>
> https://01.org/connman

The following sentence from the preceding link made me sweat a little
bit:

ConnMan is optimized through open source for embedded and client
focused Intel® Quark technology, Intel® Atom™ processors and Intel®
Core™ processors.

I'm an AMD guy.

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman

Those Arch guys are the biggest bunch of systemd jingoists on the
planet but you've got to admit, they write far and away the best
documentation on the planet.

> In my view, we can forget about network-manager completely for
> desktop usage.

Whether we stay with Wicd, which Devuan Alpha 2 does such a great job
with, or switch to ConnMan, either way, you're right: network-manager
is too entangled in dbus and systemd to be useful on Devuan, and it
also requires you be in X, and that's not always true.

I think that whether Wicd or ConnMan is our default network "make it
easier machine", it should be easy to switch between the two, and part
of that ease could be good documentation.

By the way, I was going to answer Bardot Jérôme's query about Devuan
Network-Manager similarly: Better to be rid of Network-Manager than to
wonder if it's going to drag in systemd on an update. Network-Manager's
wonderful for the one use case Debian envisions, but turns into a
stumbling block when you go offroad.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key