:: Re: [Dng] vdev compatibility
Author: Jude Nelson
To: David Hare
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] vdev compatibility
Hi David,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM, David Hare <davidahare@???> wrote:

> Question for Jude:
>
> I use the live-boot tools a lot and make live-images. The live-boot
> scripts, which go in initramfs, rely a lot on udev and commands like "blkid
> -o udev"..
>
> Will vdev, when ready, have compatibility for such cases?

The "-o udev" directive tells blkid to format its output in a way that udev
can import it with an IMPORT{} directive in a rule. It should work
regardless of whether or not udev is installed.

I'm not familiar with the live-boot scripts, but in preparing initramfs
boot scripts for testing vdev, the only changes I've had to make are
starting vdev in place of udev, and mounting vanilla tmpfs on /dev instead
of devtmpfs. I'd imagine that it will be similar with live-boot scripts,
but I'll have to take a closer look. I'm happy to work with you and others
on ensuring that you can use vdev in place of udev wherever possible :)

> Thanks for all your good work. I'm actually using eudev at the moment
> (works fine in the "live" scripts) but look forward to trying vdev as soon
> as possible.

My pleasure!

Thanks,
-Jude