:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 03:09:21PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 09:51:36AM -0400, Clarke Sideroad wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > With all the effort that has gone into this so far it deserves to be
> > a major distro and it would appear to this guy watching from the
> > fringe that the necessary brain power is here, but without a
> > noticeably sized user base it will be seen through the eyes of
> > blogger/journalist filtered history as the few weirdos who couldn't
> > face the "future of computing".
> >
> > Do not forget the bigger picture.
>
> Debian has been a major distro for almost 20 years now, is the largest
> homogeneous package base in the free software arena, has inspired
> literally thousands of other distributions, and has never installed
> non-free stuff by default, or recommended the usage of third-party
> proprietary video drivers, or promoted the installation of non-free
> firmware...
>
> I just don't see the problem in continuing along this path. This is
> not what will kill Devuan, by any means.

But Debian does allow the installation of nonfree drivers. And, if I
recall correctly last time I installed (a long, long time ago), it did
ask the question.

We want the reputation of rejecting monolithic blocks of horrible code
when that is practical, and in the case of systemd, we want to show
that it is practical, and even beneficial.

We don't want to give the impression that without systemd, video card
performance is the pits.

-- hendrik