:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 03:01:21PM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On 04/06/15 14:34, James Powell wrote:
> >I agree that there should be a scan ran to inform the system user that
> >binary firmware is needed at boot, but likewise, if the system needs it,
> >it should be an offered option at installation time also, just not
> >offered by default as enabled. The user must at least select the option
> >to install firmware such as this for example:
> >
> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >[ ] Install optional kernel binary firmware - Kernel firmware is used
> >by some modern devices to supplement EEPROMs and other mask roms
> >normally included either with the driver internally, or on the device
> >itself.
> >
> >Package (optional) : linux-kernel-firmware-nonfree-<insert git pull
> >date>-noarch-.deb
> >
> >Notes:
> >
> >Selecting this option will not install any traditional non-free software
> >packages (I.E. Adobe Flashplayer) on your system. This package is meant
> >to only supplement the Linux kernel and it's drivers. Nothing else. Due
> >to the fact certain kernel drivers lack this firmware internally and on
> >chip, this package may be needed to gain full functionality of hardware
> >such as VGA, Audio, SCSI, Networking, and other devices.
> >
> >If you were presented with a warning at boot that firmware needed to be
> >loaded for your device(s), select and install this package, otherwise it
> >is safe to continue without it.
>
> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I was more thinking about scan of the hardware, and providing a
> report of all of the hardware requiring non-free firmware to be
> loaded. Potentially we would only need to pull in the specific
> firmware files required to make that work.
>
> Anyway the firmware-linux-nonfree package is a meta package that
> refers to all the non-free firmware packages and that includes a big
> bunch of stuff we won't want, like audio and video-card firmware.
> (We could allow for it to be selected later in task-select though).
> Our soul purpose is to only deal with firmware required for the
> installation process to complete - ie network cards for network
> installs etc.)
>

> >Just a passing thought. As shown, the option is disabled by default, has
> >documentational notes, and is counted as an optional kernel package, not
> >actual software.
>
> Providing good information will server to educate the user is
> essential to helping them understanding why the question is put and
> what the implications are either way.

The installer should use nonfree drivers that are essential to
performing its duties, possibly informing the user that it has done so.

It should also inform the user if nonfree drivers are essential to
obtaining decent performance on his devices (such as 3D video), and
install these on request.

A naive user is not likely to realize how to do this on his own, and
will instead conclude that devuan is useless.

It would be nice (but perhaps too much work to be practical) if
subsequent upgrades would informm the user when free drivers were to
become available later for these devices.

-- hendrik