:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
Daniel Reurich wrote on 04.06.2015 03:29:
<snip>
> I agree in principle about using strictly free/libre open source
> software, and where I have the choice I personaly will select hardware
> that aligns with those principles.
>
> However, I would not want my choices to become the tool that would
> punish those less informed, or unable to make the sacrifices required to
> comply entirely with that principle. To do so would be ungracious and
> unrealistic, and boils down to elitism and puritanism.
>
> Nevertheless, to silently let the installation of non-free firmware be
> done without recognition and challenge is not right either. So I see
> the most gracious approach is to inform the users and grant them the
> opportunity to choose how they would like to proceed. It gives
> opportunity for those who for conscience sake would refuse non-free
> firmware to do so, whilst not enforcing that choice an all users.

<snip>

This reads to me as a well balanced approach to tackle this tricky issue.
Compromises are necessary, as we're not living in an ideal world.

Thank you for working so hard and responsibly on the installer in order to
give as many users an experience as smooth as possible, unhampered by as
few technical or ideological barriers as reasonably possible.

Cheers,
Urban