:: [Dng] finding computers that can ru…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
Sujet: [Dng] finding computers that can run free.
On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 05:53:26PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 13:08:52 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
> > It can be quite difficult to find out whether a piece of hardware
> > you're considering buying requires nonfree drivers.
>
> Not only that, but with video, wifi, ethernet, mouse, and who knows
> what other hardware, the chances of *all* the hardware being free and
> open is low.
>
> Unless you want to pay double for System76.

Will paying double for System76 even suffice? They seem to advertise
'made for Ubuntu'. Now Ubuntu is know to support proprietary software,
so that isn't quite the commendation I'm looking for.

Lenovo, I believe, also advertises a model with Ubuntu compatibility.
Same potential problem.

-- hendrik