:: Re: [Dng] Secure boot?
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Robert Storey
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Secure boot?
> Nobody yet knows how many "Windows 10 compliant" manufacturers will
> eliminate the off-switch for Secure Boot. Could be 90%, for all we know.
> If we don't support secure boot hardware, we're telling people not to
> use Linux on commodity off the shelf hardware. Pay double for System76.
> Won't be well received.
>
> We need *some* way to run on secure-boot-only hardware.

I agree entirely, but I just want to add that last year I bought a new
laptop and went specifically looking for a machine that did NOT have
Windows pre-installed. I found a Toshiba Satellite C50-B with no OS on the
hard drive. Reasonable price too - if I had wanted Windows it would have
been an additional US$100.

That's the good news. The bad is that I live in Taiwan, home of Acer and
ASUS, I could not find a single laptop made by those manufacturers without
pre-installed Windows. It was ironic that I had to buy an imported Japanese
computer rather than a domestically produced one, though in this case there
was little difference in price since the US$100 I saved by not buying a
Windows license put the Toshiba into the same price range as Acer and ASUS
machines with the same specs.

Of course, the vast majority of the laptops sold in the world come with
with Windows pre-installed, so Devuan has to support some kind of solution
that works for all those machines.

regards,
Robert