:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Página Inicial
Autor: Vince Mulhollon
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:

> If we were ok with unmodifiable undebuggable unfixable software, we'd be
> using Windows.

Thought that was lead in to a new systemd joke right up till the last
word. Not bad, not bad at all.

Firmware is analogous to ADA compliance stuff for handicapped people. Is
non-free firmware obviously damaged goods? Yes, being very blunt about
it. Does anyone really benefit by making an already difficult life
intentionally even harder? No. So... make it available. Taking away the
free software wheelchair ramp doesn't make life any better for anyone, even
if it makes some architectural fundamentalists microscopically happier
(well, the Parthenon doesn't have wheelchair ramps, so neither should we,
if we want equally good clean design). Whats worse, intentionally
preventing wheelchair users from visiting the Parthenon or intentionally
installing a slightly ugly wheelchair ramp on the Parthenon? You can
always take the ramp out later if necessary, but if you take away someones
experience you can never really make it right later. Minimization of
overall total harm. That doesn't mean non-free software is "good" any more
than installing a wheel chair ramp means getting your legs chopped off is
"good".