:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Página Inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers

Le 03/06/2015 11:48, Anto a écrit :

> On 03/06/15 10:37, Daniel Reurich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like a straw poll on whether we should include non-free firmware
>> in our installers by default.
>>
>> It's a deviation from Debians traditional position, but a pragmatic
>> one that shows we care about the end users.
>>
>> Keen for feedback.
>>

> Hello Daniel,
>
> Is there any web site where I can cast my vote on? If there was none,
> then I cast my vote here.
>
> I prefer that all non-free packages including the firmwares to be
> excluded in the default installer. However, it would be great if there
> were options to select them during installation process. Otherwise, I
> will choose them later after the base installation is completed, which
> I usually do.

     Hi Anto.

     As an example, note that to install Debian on Dell PowerEdge
servers you need a proprietary firmware for the Ethernet interfaces to
work, which is needed in a netinst. With Debian you can just provide it
on an USB memory stick, but it takes some skills to do that and it would
be friendly for the beginner to load it without question for the own use
of the installer and then ask the user before installing it.

     I know there are legal issues though.

     Didier