:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: Laurent Bercot
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On 03/06/2015 13:32, Jaret Cantu wrote:
> Freedom of choice, but let them know that their choice makes baby kitten angels cry.

Give freedom of choice if it's what the distribution is about; or don't
give the option if the distribution is about licensing purity.

But whatever you do, don't paternalize the users. There's nothing more
infuriating than an infantilizing message in the way of what you want to do.

Think of Windows when you attempt to disable Windows Defender, it preaches
at you constantly with literal red signs and keeps offering the big green
"enable it again" button, trying to nag you into clicking it. Until you
find the small print option in another corner of the configuration maze
that finally makes it stfu.

This is almost understandable on Windows, who everyone and their grandmother
uses, and most people aren't in a situation where it's safe to disable Windows
Defender, and aren't security savvy enough to know the difference - so some
loud warning makes sense. But even then, it's still annoying to the technical
user, and to the non-technical one too. ("My security guy told me to click
this, and now the machine is yelling at me. Did I do anything wrong? What
should I do?")

On Devuan? Just don't do this, even if the warning isn't half as obnoxious.
Your users chose Devuan: they already have made a good choice. They are probably
knowledgeable enough about the difference between free and non-free software.
Give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they know what they are
doing and that there are good reasons for their choices. Stay out of their way;
do not disrespect them by force-feeding them moralistic crap they don't care
about and that will only antagonize them.

--
Laurent