:: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Isaac Dunham
Aan: Robert Storey
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window manager
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 07:57:47AM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> With all the recent discussion about DEs (Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate, etc), I
> just thought I'd throw this in here...
>
> For the longest time, I simply used a window manager. In the beginning, it
> was FVWM, but later I took a liking to IceWM. As opposed to a full-blown
> Desktop Environment, I liked the speed and simplicity of a window manager.

I use IceWM, and also FVWM1 (on my "sparta" devuan-with-mdev install).
I prefer the simplicity, and I enjoy having something faster than *any*
desktop, xfce included.

> The only drawback is that window manager doesn't seem to do automounting of
> plugged-in devices. I went looking for a solution, and found this page:

In my book, that's an advantage.
Of course a significant percentage of the times that I plug in a USB
device I'm trying to repartition it.

> https://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Automounting
>
> It says, among other things, that udev can be configured to handle
> automounting. That's nice, but since systemd has polluted udev beyond
> repair, I'm wondering if Devuan can be set up to handle it better, perhaps
> with vdev. Or is there a better way?

Use "mount" ;-)
Locally, I sometimes use a script I named "mat", which mounts a device
(shortname) at the "usual" location, creating the mountpoint if needed.
This isn't the version I use, but it gives you the idea:

#!/bin/sh
[ -b "/dev/$1" ] || exit 3
mkdir -p "/mnt/$1" || exit 2
mount -o users,rw "/dev/$1" "/mnt/$1"

Something like this could be run from mdev as a helper when a partition
is detetected, or you could use "mount -a -T /etc/autotab", or you could
use a hotplug helper along the lines of

#!/bin/sh
[ -n "$DEVTYPE" -a "$ACTION" = "add" ] || exit
mkdir -p "/mnt/$DEVNAME"
mount -o users,rw "/dev/$DEVNAME" "/mnt/$DEVNAME"

Or you could parse the output of nlmon...

There are no shortage of ways to set it up.

> I believe that people who are opposed to systemd are similar to me - we
> prefer simplicity over complex solutions, and are not impressed by bells
> and whistles. Thus, I think people who are attracted to Devuan would be a
> good market for a simple desktop based on IceWM.

True.
However, we're often able to set it up ourselves.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham