:: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: Robert Storey, dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] automounting in a window manager

Le 31/05/2015 01:57, Robert Storey a écrit :
> With all the recent discussion about DEs (Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate, etc),
> I just thought I'd throw this in here...
>
> For the longest time, I simply used a window manager. In the
> beginning, it was FVWM, but later I took a liking to IceWM. As opposed
> to a full-blown Desktop Environment, I liked the speed and simplicity
> of a window manager.
>
> The only drawback is that window manager doesn't seem to do
> automounting of plugged-in devices. I went looking for a solution, and
> found this page:
>
> https://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Automounting
>
> It says, among other things, that udev can be configured to handle
> automounting. That's nice, but since systemd has polluted udev beyond
> repair, I'm wondering if Devuan can be set up to handle it better,
> perhaps with vdev. Or is there a better way?
>
> I believe that people who are opposed to systemd are similar to me -
> we prefer simplicity over complex solutions, and are not impressed by
> bells and whistles. Thus, I think people who are attracted to Devuan
> would be a good market for a simple desktop based on IceWM.
>
> Just something to think about.
>
> Hope you are all having a nice weekend.
>
> - Robert

     Hi Robert.

     One thing I like with DEs is that they can show/hide icons of the
pluggable devices, as they are inserted/removed and I can decide to
mount/eject them in a mouse-click. Automounting, and even more, may be
desirable in some cases, when automation is desired - eg plugging the
backup disk - but in the general case I prefer to decide myself.

     Didier