:: Re: [Dng] Everyone's favorite DE: G…
Author: Corrado Primier
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Everyone's favorite DE: GNOME3
On 05/28/2015 01:32 PM, Corrado Primier wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 01:22 PM, Jaret Cantu wrote:
>> Okay, a quick look at packages.debian.org says you're stretch-ing:
>
> [CUT]
>
> Perplexity ensues. Probably rebuilding is the easiest thing.

I confirm that rebuilding gvfs is enough to install gnome-core. To get
the whole gnome probably the same treatment is needed with
networkmanager-gnome, but I have no interest in this, so I installed the
rest manually.

There are a couple of usability issues, namely in-DE lock screen,
suspend and hibernate do not work. This is probably related to
gdm+logind not being available, as if I remember correctly
gnome-screensaver was replaced directly by gdm.

It is however possible to install gnome-screensaver and add it to
autostart through "ln -s
/usr/share/applications/gnome-screensaver.desktop ~/.config/autostart/"
to make screen locking (Super-L) work.

About suspend, I allowed my user to sudo pm-suspend (NOPASSWD) and I
just run "gnome-screensaver-command -a && pm-suspend" when needed. It is
a bit inconvenient, but on a laptop it can surely be bound to the lid
close event through ACPI to ease the pain a little bit.

HTH someone :)

Corrado