:: Re: [Dng] Slackware systemd creepin…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Anto
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Slackware systemd creepin in maybe?
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:42:43PM +0200, Anto wrote:

[cut]

> I have never used Slackware but that is similar problem as I have
> experienced since last year with Debian wheezy. I think the main
> problem is that, a lot of upstream packages and their maintainers in
> most distros support systemd. So they intentionally add everything
> that systemd needs into those packages, *just in case* the users
> want to use systemd. That *just in case* thinking is what I really
> hate as it is stupid. And that is because of the systemd developers
> are just so dumb and idiot to be able to write modular program so
> that there is no need to change anything on any packages requiring
> it. Did that happen on sysvinit, upstart, openrc, etc.? If systemd
> would be modular, I would consider to use it.

I honestly don't see the problem here. If I were the developer of a
daemon, I would do my best to provide init scripts for all the major
known init systems my daemon is likely to be working with. Then, we
can argue about the current unfortunate situation, in which we dislike
the mainstream init system (systemd), but unfortunately we can't
ignore the fact that systemd exists, and is probably here to stay for
a while, since almost major linux distributions have adopted it as a
default....

I don't see anything wrong in providing an alternate init script,
indeed, and I won't consider a package "infected" only because it
provides an init script for an init system that I don't use (or that I
dislike)....

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]