:: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed…
Author: Anto
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development

On 17/05/15 16:11, Jaret Cantu wrote:

> Oh my, are you using Wheezy? This is supposed to be for Jessie -- I
> have no clue what would happen if you tried installing this on an
> older version.
>
> eudev didn't even exist at udev version 175, so there should be no
> equivalent version to drop in. I would recommend just using what
> Wheezy already provides.
> If you upgrade to Jessie/Devuan, then this eudev is a good idea. I
> haven't even looked into Stretch? yet.

Hello Jaret,

The problem is indeed in the install script.

It always gives the following error.

Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/udev-finish ...
[ ok ] Stopping the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
[....] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd/etc/init.d/udev:
244: /etc/init.d/udev: udevd: not found
failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.

When I changed line 244 of /etc/init.d/udev from

243     log_daemon_msg "Starting the hotplug events dispatcher" "udevd"
244     if udevd --daemon; then
245         log_end_msg $?

into

243     log_daemon_msg "Starting the hotplug events dispatcher" "udevd"
244     if /usr/sbin/udevd --daemon; then
245         log_end_msg $?

I can restart udevas below

root@d945gclf:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/udev restart
[ ok ] Stopping the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
[ ok ] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
root@d945gclf:/etc/init.d#

I tested that on the install using Devuan merged repository. I will try
to make it work on Debian wheezy as that is my ultimate goal in using
eudev package.

Cheers,

Anto