:: Re: [Dng] Which package generates /…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Which package generates /lib/systemd and /etc/systemd files?
On Tue, 05 May 2015 17:34:19 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@???> wrote:

> Nicely put. But do you draw any implication from that vis-a-vis
> supporting systemd in Devuan? (I certainly do :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miles

*I* certainly do. Why in the world would we make Devuan development and
packaging one bit harder by supporting systemd? Why would we increase,
by even 1/1000, the chance that systemd could "sneak path" onto our
Devuan computers, knowing the immensity of the removal task?

Why are we even talking about this? Who would possibly benefit from a
systemd-optionally-enabled Devuan? A person who wants Devuan with
systemd? No, they use Debian. Or Redhat. Or SuSE. Or 100 other distros.

A person with that one must-have app that requires systemd? No. He/she
would use that app in a VM or container to prevent systemd infection of
the host OS.

A person who wants to use Gnome? Well, maybe, but please remember, the
people who made Gnome/Devuan an either/or choice was the Gnome project,
not Devuan. Gnome could have been created to run well without systemd,
but that's not their style. Incorporating Gnome would decrease, not
increase, Devuan's init freedom.

Nobody, on this list or anywhere else, benefits from putting systemd or
systemd hooks into Devuan. Why are we discussing a principle that
cannot provide benefit, when there is so much else to discuss?

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2015 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz