:: Re: [Dng] why someone might want sy…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] why someone might want systemd on devuan
On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 02:43:09PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

[cut]

> Well, yes. I can imagine a systemd hater who discovers down the road
> that he needs a package that's been comtaminated with systemd. Maybe
> instead of going whole-hog systemd, which is that the other distros
> force him to do, he can put up with systemd until that package hass
> been cleaned out. And then ge rid of it again, with few other stray
> dependencies getting in his way.

Well, the problem here is that systemd is *not* hot-pluggable, at all,
as we have recently learned the hard way. If systemd were
hot-pluggable (and hot-unpluggable), there would not be any need to
have Devuan, since one could have plugged it on and off Debian at
will. Unfortunately, this is not the case, the main reason being that
systemd does not want to be just an init system but a middleware
mediating most of the interactions between user-space and
kernel-space, and managing in a centralised way most of the typical
"ancillary" little things which make a GNU/Linux system run.

Devuan exists only because systemd makes impractical any alternative
to systemd.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]