:: Re: [Dng] Feedback installing Devua…
Author: David Hare
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Feedback installing Devuan through debootstrap in Debian Testing.
On 01/05/15 10:18, Jaromil wrote:

> dear David,
>
> On Fri, 01 May 2015, David Hare wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I just tested the new debootstrap (same opts as before).
>> There were no such errors in the bootstrap nor subsequent manual
>> chroot.
>>
>> Later yesterday, the gpg error seemed to resolve itself during
>> chroot, no clue how or why.
>
> you can track down the changes made on debootstrap here
> https://git.devuan.org/packages-base/debootstrap/commits/master and in
> the surrounding git logs of other packages being maintained at Devuan.
> This is very important for us: we are keeping the forking process
> transparent to inherit the trust that Debian has built so far in the
> integrity of its packages - and even improve it from now on, with our
> critical choices.
>
> As you are well active on developing, I invite you to consider joining
> the workflow at Devuan, perhaps maintain a few packages on our git and
> revision your changes and decisions the same way. Even if just for
> baking a live desktop image, at least making sure that all packages used
> are revisioned in their changes and their sourcecode publicly auditable
> (I'm not sure if this is the case for the angband repo).
>
> The reason I stress this aspect is not to co-opt you or anyone else in
> Devuan for whatever "world conquering" aim, but its really a matter of
> trust: revisioning all changes helps users to trust all our work, which
> may be also used in mission critical situations then.
>
>> I went on to build a nice xfce system
>> (without enabling mainstream debian repos)!
>
> cheers! and in any case, thanks for sharing your experience with us
>
> ciao

At the moment, after debootstrap without --exclude options:

:/# dpkg -l|grep systemd
ii  libsystemd0:i386              215-17                   i386
systemd utility library
ii  systemd                       215-17                   i386
system and service manager

The --exclude options do however work. I still need some 3rd-party and
custom packages later, to get a fully-functional system with a DE.

I'm particularly impressed by the current "merge" system for jessie.

As a supporter of trust, accountability and transparency, I would like
to help the workflow at Devuan, no consideration required except how
best to do that.

I'm a Debian Sid user since the days of Sarge. I began recompiling debs
only late last year (before devuan existed) out of of determination to
resist the systemd "lock-in". I don't know C very well but have some
experience of bash and "baking a live desktop image".

Do note that these personal deb rebuilds (and live images) are tagged as
"experimental". I published them in hope they might help and promote
Devuan as an alternative to debian-systemd.

Not seen a consolekit2 deb anywhere else yet.. works fine here..

Thanks to all Devuan developers and supporters for your good work.