:: Re: [Dng] Feedback installing Devua…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Jaromil
To: David Hare
CC: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] Feedback installing Devuan through debootstrap in Debian Testing.

dear David,

On Fri, 01 May 2015, David Hare wrote:

> Thanks! I just tested the new debootstrap (same opts as before).
> There were no such errors in the bootstrap nor subsequent manual
> chroot.
>
> Later yesterday, the gpg error seemed to resolve itself during
> chroot, no clue how or why.

you can track down the changes made on debootstrap here
https://git.devuan.org/packages-base/debootstrap/commits/master and in
the surrounding git logs of other packages being maintained at Devuan.
This is very important for us: we are keeping the forking process
transparent to inherit the trust that Debian has built so far in the
integrity of its packages - and even improve it from now on, with our
critical choices.

As you are well active on developing, I invite you to consider joining
the workflow at Devuan, perhaps maintain a few packages on our git and
revision your changes and decisions the same way. Even if just for
baking a live desktop image, at least making sure that all packages used
are revisioned in their changes and their sourcecode publicly auditable
(I'm not sure if this is the case for the angband repo).

The reason I stress this aspect is not to co-opt you or anyone else in
Devuan for whatever "world conquering" aim, but its really a matter of
trust: revisioning all changes helps users to trust all our work, which
may be also used in mission critical situations then.

> I went on to build a nice xfce system
> (without enabling mainstream debian repos)!

cheers! and in any case, thanks for sharing your experience with us

ciao