Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status updates
On Thu 30 April 2015 15:30:06 Didier Kryn wrote:
>      This FHS is nothing more than a summary of current practice; it
> does not contain any sound rationale

I beg to differ on that, to me it seems it has all the sound rationale it
needs, to for example understand why /bin should have commands that are needed
during early boot, before /usr gets mounted.

Thus FHS is not only a summary of current practice but also a guide to
understand why that practice got adopted, what been the rationale, and what
are the impacts when you deliberately ignore and deviate from such practice,
by for example symlinking /s?bin/ to /usr/s?bin or not keeping commands needed
during early boot in /s?bin

Poettering clearly understood the implications and outright rejected the
rationale, by claiming nowadays it wasn't modern anymore to have a small root-
fs and a separate partition for /usr

/j