:: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status up…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jude Nelson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Anto
Υ/ο: dng@lists.dyne.org
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status update
Hi Anto,

> I am confused now about your comment that we can "install any/all device
> managers and pick one that gets started at boot-time via the alternatives
> system".
>
> I initially thought that vdev requires udev or any other device managers
> to work. But since you added the command to disable udev on
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/INSTALL.md, I followed that
> and I got the impression that vdev will replace udev.

That is not my intention when it comes to packaging vdev. Devuan is all
about preserving the user's freedom to run the software they want, so the
ultimate goal is to make it possible for multiple different device managers
to coexist.

However, this is somewhat difficult to do this right now, especially when
it comes to testing vdev. That's why the INSTALL document and the
installation scripts attempt to disable udev.

> However, either any of those has no affect at the moment as vdev's init
> still fails to mount the root file system, so it does not touch /sbin/init
> yet.

> Yes. Perhaps it is better to start with vdev for amd64 first. I think that
> would speed up differentiating Devuan from Debian, so that will not be only
> for me. Probably not for the initial release of Devuan, but later on after
> vdev is stable.
>
> In regards to the deb package of vdev, I have to test it on a real test PC
> to be safe, instead of on my "current test machine" which is the PC that I
> am using for writing this email.

Once I have a deb ready, it will automatically generate the initramfs and
do something more sane with the initscripts than the Makefile.

Thanks,
Jude