:: Re: [Dng] Would like to help with D…
Author: Robert Storey
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Would like to help with Devuan
>From: JeremyBekka C <jrchristophel@???>
>
> I hope this is the right place to post this question, but I am looking for
> some advice on how to gain the necessary technical skills to help with
> future development of Devuan.

Hello Jeremy. Yes, this is as good a place as any to post your question.

A good place to learn your way around Linux in general and Debian in
particular is to plough through the Debian Reference Manual:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Not all of it will interest you, and some of the advanced stuff is probably
unnecessary for your enjoyment of Debian. But all things considered, it's a
pretty good manual.

At the moment, I don't think it delves into systemd, though that will
change, I expect. Maybe you'll want to grab the pdf version and save it to
your hard disk, because in the future it may become so encumbered with
systemd crap that you won't want to read it.

In addition to this reference manual, you can do a search for various "Unix
primer" material. There's quite a bit of that, and it will help you to
learn your way around the command line. Do note that there are various Unix
shells, but most distros use the Bash shell by default, so that's where
you'd want to concentrate your efforts.

cheers,
Robert