:: [Dng] Who/what is welcome on this l…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Joel Roth
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Παλιά Θέματα: Re: [Dng] Too many man pages, too much complicated : systemd
Αντικείμενο: [Dng] Who/what is welcome on this list?
T.J. Duchene wrote:
> I am getting the general impression from on and off the list, that my
> comments are not welcome here, and that my continued presence is a
> distraction. Very well. I was going to give it some more thought, but I
> think it would be best if I simply left the list by the end of the day.
> Anything I do with Devuan will be discussed elsewhere. I'll stay on the
> list long enough to finish wrap up a few comments with Jeromil, and a few
> others.

Trying to understand the issue(s) here.

First, T.J. is a VUA, so deserving of basic respect and
welcome unless by some specific behaviors threatens the
group. In the absence of official statutes, these are IMO
decisions to be taken at the discression of the list owner.

Second, I've noticed that the emotional tone of what T.J.
writes is generally even. I don't see him getting hot, cold,
bitter, etc. I don't see much use of hyperbole, sarcasm,
ALL CAPS!!!!!! or other troll-worthy behaviors.

So probably it is the content of what T.J. says that sets
some people off, and these people are angry at being pulled
into arguments with him. They can't or don't want to
kill-file him, or perhaps are afraid he is spreading a
malign influence on vulnerable others.

Are these the people who we should satisfy?

Regardless of the immediate outcome, it is worth asking
what, exactly, is the problem with T.J.'s posts.

I see much harder fought battles on the perl5-porters over
technical decisions. People may be temporarily banned for
personal attacks and certain other bad behaviors, while
every effort is made to attend to the person's technical
opinions. Because there are specific definitions of
unacceptable conduct, the actions of the list-owner or
moderators can be principled rather than essentially
personal.

We have few enough VUAs already that it seems wasteful to
hound out qualified folks who have diverse views and happen
to be prolific posters.

Regards,

Joel