:: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think ab…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Anto
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think about "Suggest" and "Recommends" dependency?
On 03/04/15 00:36, Franco Lanza wrote:
> Personally on debian i was using from date
>
> APT:Install-Recommends "0";
> APT:Install-Suggests "0";
>
> in all my install apt.conf.
>
> I don't like apt downloading and installing things that are not required
> but just recommended or suggested, expecially in server or embedded
> envs, but also on my desktop.
>
> What do you think if we make this the default in devuan?

Hello Franco,

I have been using this exact same setting for years in apt.conf.d folder
of my servers and desktops. So I really support this idea. It is very
safe and good setting especially for servers, in my opinion.

However, on my desktops sometime I have to be more careful to check the
"Suggested" and "Recommended" packages when installing something as I
had some issues because of that setting. I don't remember exactly which
packages experience the issues, but the most recent issue that I had was
on parole or possibly on xfce4-mixer where I could not hear mp3 music on
my USB headset, only on my PC speaker. It was fixed after I installed
audacious with all its "Suggested" and "Recommended" packages. I didn't
try further to find out which packages are actually required by parole
as I only wanted to hear music that night :)

Cheers,

Anto