:: Re: [Dng] Another reason of why I a…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Another reason of why I am considering Devuan
On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 08:38:07PM -0500, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> [T.J. ] To be honest, I do not quite get what the debate is over at Debian.
> That's something of a big *shrug* as far as I am concerned. Falling back on
> Google's nameserver is no better or worse than using anyone else's.

Most public nameservers don't log everything, mostly because they don't have
means to monetize all that data. Google, on the other hand...

> As far as making Debian "idiot-proof" by choosing a default - for most is
> probably not a bad thing. There are a lot of people using Linux today who
> do not know how to set their DNS properly, even in Windows. The rest of us
> probably have our own nameservers.

Then why not set up a recursor by default? Benefits include:
* avoiding this privacy issue
* caching
* secure DNSSEC (no last mile issues)

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets. Instead, contact the nearest temple