:: Re: [Dng] libudev-compat
Author: Jude Nelson
To: shraptor shraptor
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] libudev-compat
Hi Scooby,

It's not ready yet--it's not yet ABI-compatible with libudev (but it is
API-compatible--Kay Sievers' tests pass when recompiled).

Some background for the rest of the list. I've managed to extract the
required variables, macros, and headers from systemd 219 to make libudev
compile independently of systemd. I intend to maintain a fork of libudev
called libudev-compat that will remain ABI-compatible with systemd's
libudev, but will allow programs that depend on libudev to work without
udevd. Specifically, I intend to rewrite the udev_monitor implementation
to use inotify(2) to watch /dev and propagate device events to listeners,
instead of connecting to udevd to listen for udevd's events. As a result,
users will be able to select whatever device management daemon they want
without breaking other programs. Even static /dev will be supported, in
which case device events will only be propagated when the admin creates the
device file itself.

-Jude