:: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so coo…
Author: poitr pogo
To: Martijn Dekkers
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so cool
Hi

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Martijn Dekkers
<devuan-list1@???> wrote:
> Have a look at this excellent comparison for supervisor / init tools:
>
> http://skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html
>
> S6 is the bees' knees

IMHO s6/daemontools and similar tools are just a helpers.
They help to run as a unix daemon a program which is not written to be
a unix daemon.
Now they pretend to the role of init, which they are not.
And should not be.
The program should be modified to be able to switch to background
itself. But tell this to the java programmer...

S6 even forces such a program must not handle daemon mode itself.
    That process must not "background itself": being run by a
supervision tree already makes it a "background" task.

Regards
piotr