:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 04:12:46PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> > Point 2 has problems as well, because sometimes a package contains
> > several programs (the first example that comes to my mind is postfix,
> > but you have thousands of other examples out there) which are
> > orthogonal yet highly dependent on each other's implementation. And
> > none of us would like to say that postfix is overall not
> > DOTATIW-compliant...
>
> AFAIK, postfix transfers email. That's the one thing it does. Doing
> that rather inclusive job requires many components to do parts of the
> job. Hence the many programs. In addition, I'm sure there are many
> plugins you can add to Postfix. That's fine, and the plugins are
> voluntary, and presumably all they do is add a capability or an
> interface to something else.

Along this train of thoughts, someone might argue that systemd does
just one thing: managing most of the stuff related to low-level system
interaction, which includes mounting devices, connecting to a network,
setting up the console, starting/stopping daemons, manage their
logs.... ;) In this respect, the same person might argue that systemd
is not formally different from a device driver for your hard disk,
which has to manage read and write requests, DMA, buffering, etc....

I am just trying to say that it is probably impossible to draw a
straight red line and say "whatever is on this side of the line is OK,
whatever is on the other side is just crap", because you should first
define "doing one thing" in the most clear and unambiguous way. And
this is the bit I find quite hard to address, to be honest, if not
impossible...

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]