:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update …
Author: Jaromil
To: Jude Nelson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update and milestone
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Jude Nelson wrote:

>    I'm pleased to announce that vdev can successfully boot to a
>    console on the Devuan vagrant image!* It creates all requisite
>    device files and loads all requisite kernel drivers, both for the
>    pre-boot initramfs environment (so init can mount root) and in the
>    early boot environment (while root is mounted read-only).*

outstanding good news! congrats :^) if we manage to include vdev in
Devuan for upcoming releases you may acquire rather wide testing grounds
for your software.

>    We're well on our way now to replacing udev entirely.* The only
>    big-ticket item remaining prior to an official alpha release is
>    patching libudev so it does not need to talk to udevd to query
>    devices.* This is only necessary for applications that require
>    libudev.

I'm curious how you think we should plan this? as with all udev, also
libudev is now part of systemd, part of their tactical move to lockin
everyone rather than keep the codebases separate.

how many applications actually require using libudev?

shall we fork libudev back out of systemd (libvdev?)

what else? we may also advertise to upstream developers the alternative
and ask them to include a --with-vdev flag or so, linking to your api.

ciao