:: Re: [Dng] rumors on RMS about syste…
Author: Jude Nelson
To: devuan.kn
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] rumors on RMS about systemd at libreplanet
> The only way not to be forcing anybody is to stick with the least
> common denominator for everything. That flat out stops progress.

This is simply not true. A key hallmark of good application design is to
keep the business logic as decoupled as possible from the layers beneath
it, thereby enabling both freedom of choice for the user and independence
from the application's needs for the stack's developers. Often, this is
achieved by means of a "driver" that translates requests from the business
logic to the underlying layers and back.

For example, ZFS offers many similar features to btrfs, including
subvolumes. Moreover, lvm lets you create subvolumes too, and you could
emulate a subvolume on a vanilla filesystem by keeping each "subvolume" in
a separate flat file. A well-designed application that lets you
activate/deactivate different classes of subvolumes for different
application suites (as Lennart proposed) would define a driver model for
interfacing with a sufficiently capable filesystem, and would ship with
driver implementations for interfacing with btrfs subvolumes, ZFS
subvolumes, lvm volumes, and "emulated" subvolumes. The application suite
management aspect of the program does not need to be coupled to the
underlying filesystem implementation; keeping them separate makes it easy
to add support for new filesystems and volume managers beyond what the
original developers thought of.

Coupling the application's business logic to lower layers in the stack
prevents these wonderful properties from manifesting.

-Jude