:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Anto
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?

On 20/03/15 16:56, Go Linux wrote:
> On Fri, 3/20/15, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>   Le 19/03/2015 21:15, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> If anyone want's Gnome for Devuan, let that be in a "contaminated"
>> repository (and yes, that's what I believe it should be called),
>       Hi steve.

>       As discussed in another thread, there are certainly other packages
> affected by the big-brother syndrom, or other diseases. Therefore a
> generic method is necessary to put them apart. I already proposed to
> restrict the definition of "free software" with new criteria, beyond
> open-source and free redistribution. Packages needing systemd library
> would then fall by this criteria in the non-free repository.

>       For badly infected packages like systemd itself, if they were
> provided, there could even be a dramatic warning in the description, in
> the anti-tobaco fashion, "Systemd is against freedom".

>       Didier

> I support this idea. Put all the systemd stuff in a 'quarantine' repo with the appropriate 'use at your own risk' caveats.
>
> golinux

If I would be a developer of Devuan with strong voice, I would not even
bother allocating space to hold that "contaminated" or "quarantine"
repository in Devuan. Who will maintain those repositories like updating
them with patches? I definitely do not want to spend any second to
maintain that. Why should I? I forked Debian because of those
"contaminated" packages. So I don't want them in Devuan *at all* as I
will build Devuan without *any* dependencies to systemd components and
anything that depends on them. If my users demanded that, I will just
tell them to use Debian or other distros.

Well... Fortunately, I am not that developer. So I don't have the head
ache dealing with demands and requests from Devuan users, including
satisfying them with minimal risk of being called dictator.