:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:13:17 +0100
Joerg Reisenweber <reisenweber@???> wrote:

> On Fri 20 March 2015 08:56:47 Go Linux wrote:
> > I support this idea. Put all the systemd stuff in a 'quarantine'
> > repo with the appropriate 'use at your own risk' caveats.
>
> I'd like to suggest a more generic approach, based on (quick shot
> suggestion to get refined) listing the number of direct and first(?)
> level indirect DEPENDS and CONFLICTS, both for particular packages
> (yes I know you could look up a listing of all those for each package
> already, just you don't have a simple numeric value in the short
> description) as well as for the complete distro: might be average per
> package and a total for all packages. Getting that number as low as
> possible is the aim and comparing it to other distros would give an
> easy way to see where we are and whereto the situation evolves.
>
> cheers
> jOERG

What would especially float my boat, once there's a truly depoetterized
Devuan, is to have the package manager warn me at 160 decibles if I
decide to install something that pulls in any systemd code, because if
there's a way to run without systemd code, that's how I want to run,
even if it means someday I can no longer use Gnumeric or Gimp.

Let me give an analogy that's absolutely offtopic here, I use it only
as an analogy. Three years ago, I made a policy that no KDE library or
software would ever exist on any of Troubleshooters.Com computers, any
computers owned by Steve Litt, or any computers owned by family members
who expected me to be their IT department. For the most part, I simply
never install a package beginning with "k". But once in a while I
install an excellent sounding package, only to see it starting to pull
in KDE Krap, have to Ctrl+C out of it, and then go back and
painstakingly remove everything my install put there. My life would
have been easier if the package manager told me THIS PACKAGE HAS KDE
REQUIREMENTS, PROCEED N/y.

In the same way, I'd like a big old warning from any package that
brought in systemd code of any kind, and that *is* ontopic here.

I think a very simple way is to put all packages that pull in systemd
code, directly or indirectly, in a "contaminated" repository, and have
that repository not enabled by default. This way, everyone gets their
choice of how much or how little poetterization they want, and nobody
accidentally gets a smarmy, fast talking read headed bespecticled bug
in their operating system.

And once again, I'd like to state the opinion that getting anything
working that will long term be systemd-encumbered should be a much
lower priority than depoetterizing what we can.

SteveT