:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:35:43 +0100
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> What I am afraid of is that, along the line some powerful people in
> Devuan will make a trade-off in using systemd components. For
> instance, they decide to integrate a super-dupper package which
> requires systemd components, e.g. for DE, which has nothing to do
> with any functionalities of servers but the dependencies on systemd
> components that have to be included in the repository only creates
> problems on the servers.

Hi Anto,

Like you, I would be distressed if, *in the long run*, Devuan included
systemd-dependent packages in the main distribution.

If anyone want's Gnome for Devuan, let that be in a "contaminated"
repository (and yes, that's what I believe it should be called), and
let people use it at their own risk, with no support from mainstream
Devuan.

After all, if all you want is a non-systemd init, you can do that in an
hour by laying down Epoch, on Debian or Ubuntu or for gosh sakes RedHat,
and copying the Epoch executable over /sbin/init and /usr/sbin/init.

The preceding not withstanding, my impression is that, currently,
Devuan's "powerful people" are all very anti-systemd and are working
tirelessly to remove the last vestiges of systemd.

SteveT