:: Re: [Dng] vdev status updates
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Jude Nelson
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Oggetto: Re: [Dng] vdev status updates
Hi Didier,

> It's very good to use inotify, because it's a standard Linux tool (don't

know for other nixes), not yet-another-interface. This way DEs shouldn't
have any concern implementing it.

That's the plan :) Like udisks2, NetworkManager, and upower, vdevd-user
(or something like it) offer DEs the ability to have their DE-specific
device-handling programs executed when a device gets plugged in or pulled
out.

inotify is Linux-specific, kqueue is BSD-specific, and /dev/poll is
Solaris-specific. However, libkqueue ports the BSD kqueue interface to
Linux and Solaris, so using that library as a way to watch /dev for changes
would let vdevd-user be portable (i.e. the Linux port of libkqueue is
implemented with inotify(2)).

> This means you will provide support for inotify in vdevfs? AFAIK there

isn't in every filesystem, eg sysfs.

Interestingly, inotify(2) is implemented by the kernel's VFS, not the
filesystem implementation (this is true for FUSE as well). The only way
the VFS learns when files and directories change is when a userspace
program makes a VFS syscall. This is why you can't use inotify(2) to watch
procfs and sysfs for changes--the changes to the kernel state these
filesystems represent are not routed through the VFS layer.

This isn't a problem for vdev, since vdevd makes the VFS syscalls--it's
vdevd that actually triggers the inotify(2) events, not vdevfs. This means
you don't need to use vdevfs for vdevd-user to work--inotify(2) will work
regardless of whatever filesystem /dev resides on.

-Jude