:: Re: [Dng] Devuan governance
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: 'Hendrik Boom', dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Devuan governance
I'm assuming that in posting this, you are asking for opinions.

I believe that a form of recognized membership should be open to anyone that
someone plays a *significant* role. The reason for such is to make sure
that people feel part of the community and that they are appreciated. A
member should be defined as someone who actively and directly contributes to
a release or to the welfare of the community. That does not mean that
members have to be coders or involved in package maintenance. Other tasks
for example, could just as easily be translation, QA testing, community
organizers, or documentation writers.

All should be equally important with no one person being accorded more
status than another in a different role.

Financial or material support should not be grounds for membership.
Although they are certainly appreciated, sponsors should not make decisions.
We have seen the results of that in the past, and the accusations that get
thrown about. However, just to be absolutely clear, if a sponsor stepped up
and offered to pay certain individuals for their work on Devuan or to add
specific features, I have absolutely no problem with that - even if no one
else gets paid for their work.

Member consensus should have significant influence on decision making.
Ultimately, however, I am not advocating a democracy or voting membership
like Debian. I am only suggesting an advisory group from among the general
members to advise the core team of developers. The sole purpose of an
advisory group is to make sure that the core developers never lose touch
with everyone else, not make decisions.

The core team should be chosen by themselves based on merit from the general
membership who has to have been with Devuan for at least 1 year. The core
team should really make the important decisions, because quite frankly, they
have the real experience, and have been in for the long term.

t.j.