:: Re: [Dng] Plan for Devuan to use Mo…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Plan for Devuan to use Mozilla products as is
On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 07:45:22PM +0100, Anto wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I guess it is very likely that the first release of Devuan will use
> the re-branded Mozilla products.
>
> As far as I understood, the main reason for the re-branding is the
> Mozilla license that does not comply with DSFG
> (https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines). Or the other
> way around? Sorry, I don't really understand licensing.
>
> Is Devuan going to use the exact same guideline? If not,is there any
> plan for Devuan to use Mozilla products as is in the future,
> especially Firefox and Thunderbird?

As I understood it, the main problem was that the mozilla browser is
open-source except for the mozilla icon/logo, which is copyright, and
not under a free license. And the firefox name is trademarked, and they
won't let you use the name without the icon. So Debian had to rebrand,
which mozilla had no problem with.

Debian *could* have used the firefox binary direct from Mozilla, but
they compile everything from source, as it's the only way or them to be
really sure that the executable matches the source code.

-- hendrik