:: Re: [Dng] No way to use a prepartio…
Author: Richard
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] No way to use a prepartioned disk?

05:44:47PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> >> In case it's relevant, I was using the expert install, wanting to make
> >> my own paritioning decisions. That's what I usually do when installing
> >> Debian. Was this a mistake?
> >>
> >> -- hendrik
> >>

> The first time I installed the valentine preview, it was on existing
> partitions in a virtualbox VM. I chose a regular (non-expert)install,
> chose manual partitioning.
>
> When the partitioner showed me the existing partitions, I noticed that
> there were two partitions instead of one. There was a swap partition
> inside an extended partition, which I'm sure I did not create. Other than
> that, the installation went fine.
>
> I then booted the VM with a live CD and repartitioned the drive using
> gparted. Made a single partition again, then rebooted the valentine iso to
> see if the same thing would happen, but it did not. I could not reproduce
> it. I even tried a third time.
>
> Except for that first install, the partitioner did what I expected it to
> do - it showed me the existing partitions and allowed me to choose whether
> to use them or not.
>
> fsr
>

> >> I could not get manual partitioning to leave the existing partitions
> >> alone and install devuan to secondary partitions in the empty space.

The
> >> closest I could get was a question whether I'd like it to replace the
> >> existing partition table with a new empty one. Of course I answered
> >> 'no'. I wanted it to start from the existing partition structure.
> >> 'yes' seemed somewhat dangerous.
> >>
> >> Well, in reality, those partitions wera a copy of files I had elsewhere
> >> and wanted to be able to use on the new system in a dual-boot
> >> configuration, so in theory I could have gone further and restored

those
> >> partition later, and when I have time I may still do that to further

test
> >> the installer. But I'd rather test how well int cooperates with other
> >> existing systems.
> >>
> >> -- hendrik

Installing Valentine on HD on AA1:
1. First three attempts failed. 1st with the GUI and then with the curses
version.
Each picked up and connected to wifi.
2. All stopped at 33% of formatting the chosen partition. I waited at least
15 minutes for each.
3. Formatted the desired partition with gparted then ran the curses
installer without doing any partitioning. Valentine is happily installing
at the moment.
4. I'll give it a bit more use this time. Previously just wanted to see the
shape of things to come.