:: Re: [Dng] idea for discussion: why …
Author: Jude Nelson
To: Nate Bargmann
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] idea for discussion: why 1 dbus [long e-mail]
I personally think dbus is largely a wheel re-invented--not necessarily due
to incompetence on its developers' parts, mind you, but more due to mission
and scope creep over the past 12 years. If inter-process communication
could be done all over again from scratch, knowing what we use dbus for
these days, we'd probably be using FUSE or 9P or loopback NFS or some other
filesystem-like mechanism. Dbus objects and methods are already organized
into a directory hierarchy, and it implements its own permissions and
authentication mechanisms for controlling access from other processes.
With a bit of refactoring, I'll bet most dbus-speaking applications could
be turned into userspace API filesystems with little modification to their
core logic (kind of like how Plan 9 processes have their own private
filesystems).

-Jude