:: [Dng] Kicking the tires on Valentin…
Author: John Morris
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] Kicking the tires on Valentine release
Finally got around to seriously poking around with the Valintines Alpha
release. Very alpha.

Tried a default and an expert mode install, neither prompts for a root
password and even if the option to create a user account is picked no
prompts to actually do it appear. So I just did the basic install and
rebooted rescue mode. A generic devuan user is present, no idea of the
password so I set one for both it and root.

On first login XFCE asks what I want for a panel config, I tell it one
and it makes a totally empty one. I can manually add in a launcher,
window switcher and notification area but this isn't looking
encouraging.

Installed into a vm with QXL for video, X sees that and looks like it is
using it, but video performance is lousy.

The install media is showing an icon on the desktop but it won't mount
if clicked, permissions problem some sort, says "Not authorized to
perform operation." /dev/sr0 is owned root:cdrom and the default devuan
user is a member of cdrom so it isn't apparent what is going amok.

Libreoffice is half installed, the base app launcher is present but none
of the actual programs. No browser either.

Didn't see any devuan readme or anything documenting any of these bugs.

Added in the debian jessie repo and installed iceweasel and put MATE on
the system. It can't mount the CD either, same error.

On the other hand most problems were fixable and process 1 is init
so.... Winning!