:: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots…
Author: Jaromil
To: Neo Futur
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots linux and the logo WAS Re: Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11

dear Neo Futur,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Neo Futur wrote:

> its a general philosophy of design and openness

FYI, I'm busy on such a topic for my Ph.D dissertation and will be happy
to share the results once finished.

> > it is more about principles. Let's list some:
> >
> > - freedom of choice,
> > - interchangealility of solutions to a given need,
> > - reduce inter-dependencies to the strict minimum
> I keep those 3 for my idea of a "roots linux" foundation

let me recommend you use the term GNU/Linux. Probably even more than the
Linux kernel development, it is the GNU project that kept alive such
principles of design in user-space.

also please consider the Dyne.org foundation as an ally in your quest to
start a new foundation, or perhaps as an existing device you can use to
bring forward the activities you intend to promote with your idea of a
foundation.

Managing an institutional shell for free software projects is an effort
that can well be shared, if transparence on intentions and coincidence
of ideals is there.

If you like to share, I'd be interested in knowing what you envision
would be the activities such a foundation should carry on. Even when
talking about philosophy and design I think it is very important to
bring examples and concrete projects that are vectors for people's
action.

> great idea, KISS is a short and simple word that could summarize most
> of the important ideas, a kiss, for you, from the roots of linux
> could be an idea for a logo !

I guess this isn't the best way to introduce Devuan to the public: its a
bit too pretextuous to incarnate the roots of the Linux kernel
development. We are still struggling to produce an alpha and I wish our
communication reflects the current phase of the progress rather than
more ideals than those we already stated in the public and that also
raised some educated skepticism and criticism as they weren't yet based
on concrete achievements.

Said that, I hope this message does not discourage you, but helps
channel the enthusiasm in good productive ways.

ciao

--
Jaromil, Dyne.org Free Software Foundry (est. 2000)
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom