:: Re: [Dng] LoginKit on the pre-alpha
Author: Dima Krasner
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] LoginKit on the pre-alpha
I created a Jessie branch in LoginKit's repository.

This branch does not have libsystemd*, just loginkitd (the daemon). I removed all functionality from it, except Inhibit(). It's a method implemented in logind and ConsoleKit2. Session managers and display managers call it.

After some research, I found out that the only package in the Devuan pre-alpha that calls logind D-Bus methods is xfce4-power-manager and it calls only Inhibit(), to (listen carefully) *disable logind's power management functionality*, because xfce4-power-manager has an internal implementation that conflicts with logind's. As far as I see, that's the only reason why Xfce depends on logind.

Therefore, the daemon in LoginKit's Jessie branch exposes Inhibit(), but it doesn't do any power management (because Xfce disables it anyway). It's good, because its code is tiny now. Easier to maintain, less buggy and more secure.

I updated the control file, to make this branch the default for Jessie. Maybe we should make xfce4-power-manager depend on loginkit or systemd, but prefer loginkit. I'm fine with packaging loginkit for Jessie, because the daemon is just a stub now.

https://git.devuan.org/pkgs-utopia-substitution/loginkit/blob/jessie/debian/control

--
Dima Krasner, dimakrasner.com