:: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
Página Inicial
Autor: william moss
Para: Dng
Assunto: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
On 02/16/2015 11:23 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:44:04 +0100 Didier Kryn <kryn@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Considering Devuan is a major lifeboat of free Linux-based OS,
>> I'm anxious about its destiny and therefore trying to figure out
>> who is onboard, I mean the audience.

I have used Unix and its derivatives since Bell Labs Version 7 and the
original BSD from the Regents of California at Berkley port.

I currently use Linux and have been doing so since V.1.13.

Though I do compile my own customized kernel (3.4.105 on wheezy and
elsewhere) as well as other application, I no longer desire to do too
much of this.

All my work stations are Linux.

I run a LAN server for home which is currently freeBSD.

In summary, my application software days are long past though I do
write my own maintenance scripts. However, the last 10 years of work
prior to retirement were in threat analysis (physical, logical) and
embedded control systems design and coding (process control, weapons
control systems). This experience along with many years in hardware
abstraction coding for Unix kernels at Bell Labs and my education,
gives me a very specific attitude towards code and design.

At this juncture, I will either find a version of Linux that follows
the Unix philosophy of KISS (keep it simple stupid) or return to my
BSD roots.

Best of luck with your endeavor.