:: Re: [Dng] successfully manually rem…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Luke Leighton
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] successfully manually removing systemd and libsystemd0 from debian and still maintaining a working desktop
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 08:44:22PM +0000, Luke Leighton wrote:
> Gravis <ring3k <at> adaptivetime.com> writes:
>

> > > * returning to manual keyboard and mouse configuration in Xorg
> >
> > where did it move to before?
>
> i never removed the manual keyboard and mouse configuration
> options that i had installed years back. however as xorg has
> grown more features, one of them included "automatic udev
> device detection", meaning that you *could* run with a
> completely blank (or even missing) xorg.conf.
>
> however, many people did not remove their old (manual) keyboard
> and mouse configuration sections, so what the xorg team did was
> to add an entry (which defaults to "on") "Use auto configuration".
>
> when this flag is set, any entries which use kbd or mouse drivers
> are COMPLETELY IGNORED.
>
> unfortunately, then, if you disable udev (which i did), xorg
> doesn't detect a mouse or keyboard - or in fact *ANY* input
> device - AT ALL.
>
> so, as documented in the document i wrote, you have to (a)
> set a flag to tell xorg to stop using auto-device detection
> and (b) return to the situation that everyone put up with
> before auto-device detection support was added.

Thanks to your write-up, I've gotten Xorg working sans udev
(actually, simulated via overmounting with tmpfs and running mdev).
FYI, *this* was why I included "devinfo" in libsysdev:
for d in /dev/input/*; do DEV="`devinfo $d`"; [ -e "$DEV/name" ] && { echo $d; cat $DEV/name; } ; done
/dev/input/event0
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
/dev/input/event1
Video Bus
/dev/input/event10
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
/dev/input/event2
Power Button
/dev/input/event3
Lid Switch
/dev/input/event4
Sleep Button
/dev/input/event5
Power Button
/dev/input/event6
HDA Digital PCBeep
/dev/input/event7
HDA Intel Mic
/dev/input/event8
HDA Intel Headphone
/dev/input/event9
Acer Crystal Eye webcam
/dev/input/mouse0
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad

It makes it a whole lot simpler when you don't have to guess what a
device is.
The trick is that input devices have a description at
/sys/dev/char/<major>:<minor>/device/name

HTH,
Isaac Dunham