:: Re: [Dng] successfully manually rem…
Author: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
To: Isaac Dunham
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] successfully manually removing systemd and libsystemd0 from debian and still maintaining a working desktop
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@???> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:49:54PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> http://slashdot.org/submission/4203115/removing-libsystemd0-from-a-live-running-debian-system
>>
>> if anyone would like to help get the word out, as a way to actively
>> engage more developers and end-users to give them their right to
>> choose what software to run, please do consider hitting the "+" button
>> on the above submission.
>
> Done, I think. (I use NoScript, so...I guess the "+" button sticking
> means it worked...)

it's up and happily collecting comments.

> Reading it I noticed "dbus, pulseaudio, policykit-1" - I only recompiled
> util-linux. Checked in Aptitude, and I don't have dbus installed.
> (I have libdbus installed, but not the dbus daemon, pulse, or policykit.)

..
you are lucky :) i run a wide range of software as part of my
business so i have quite a bit more around.

> boot system into non-functional state due to udev not working?
> Huh? udev works fine for me (Debian Jessie).

bizarre! can you remember if, as a result of recompiling and
installing the util-linux packages, initrds were regenerated at all?
(it's done in a postinst hook somewhere)

> And I've rebuilt
> util-linux and removed libsystemd0 already.

ohh, you are so lucky! can i add you to the list of successes?

> Or are you trying to remove udev as well?

no i'm not - it just... the entire system froze on me at checking the
udev entries. but, at the time, i didn't have makedev installed.

well... there may be hope then that i can actually get udev back up
and running. this would be good as sound is not coming out of the
speakers at the moment. volume's set, etc. etc. - just.... no sound.

l.